User Acceptance Testing
Regression testing is the process of testing changes to computer programs to make sure that the older programming still works with the new changes.
Regression testing is the process of testing changes to computer programs to make sure that the older programming still works with the new changes. Regression testing is a normal part of the program development process and, in larger companies, is done by code testing specialists. Test department coders develop code test scenarios and exercises that will test new units of code after they have been written. These test cases form what becomes the test bucket. Before a new version of a software product is released, the old test cases are run against the new version to make sure that all the old capabilities still work. The reason they might not work is because changing or adding new code to a program can easily introduce errors into code that is not intended to be changed.
Getting started with regression testing
To explore how regression testing is used in the enterprise, here are some additional resources for learning about software quality assurance tools:
Software testing fundamentals – Regression testing: Regression testing ensures that little changes don’t break software. Good regression testers need to know what they’re looking for, and this guide explains how.
Regression testing is more than retesting: Regression testing is a necessary component to any software development lifecycle. Expert Mike Kelly explains the motivations for conducting regression tests.
10 web functional/regression testing tools for web applications in terms of Functional and Regression testing
1. WATIR -Watir is a simple open-source library for automating web browsers. It allows you to write tests that are easy to read and easy to maintain. It is optimized for simplicity and flexibility. Watir drives browsers the same way people do. It clicks links, fills in forms, presses buttons. Watir also checks results, such as whether expected text appears on the page. Watir is a Ruby library that works with Internet Explorer on Windows. Watir is currently being ported to support FireFox and Safari.
2. SELENIUM IDE – It is an integrated development environment for Selenium tests. It is implemented as a Firefox extension, and allows you to record, edit, and debug tests. Selenium IDE includes the entire Selenium Core, allowing you to easily and quickly record and play back tests in the actual environment that they will run. Selenium IDE is not only recording tool: it is a complete IDE. You can choose to use its recording capability, or you may edit your scripts by hand. With auto complete support and the ability to move commands around quickly, Selenium IDE is the ideal environment for creating Selenium tests no matter what style of tests you prefer.
3. Q ENGINE – QEngine offers integrated solutions to test and verify the functionality and performance of both web applications and web services.
4. MAX Q – It is a Web functional testing tool. It includes an HTTP proxy that records your test script, and a command-line utility that can be used to playback tests. The proxy recorder automatically stores variables posted to forms, so you don’t have to write that stuff by hand.
5. Solex – It is a free open source Web application testing tool built as a plug-in for the Eclipse IDE. It provides functions to record a client session adjust it according to various parameters and replay it later typically in order to ensure non regression of the application’s behavior (with stress testing capabilities being added at a later stage). Solex acts as an HTTP proxy and records all HTTP requests and responses going through the wire between a Web client (e.g. a Web browser) and a Web server. The task of replaying a scenario consists in sending the previously recorded and eventually customized HTTP requests to the server and asserting each response.
6. SILK TEST – It is an automation tool for testing the functionality of enterprise applications in most versions of Windows, Sun Solaris 9 & 10, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 2.1 & 3.0. It is produced by Segue Software which was acquired by Borland in 2006. SilkTest uses the proprietary 4Test language for automation scripting. It is an object oriented language similar to C++. It uses the concepts of classes, objects, and inheritance.
7. QA WIZARD – QA Wizard Pro automates the functional and regression testing of Web and Windows applications, helping your quality assurance team test more of an application in less time.
8. WEB KING – The release of WebKing 3.5 makes it easier than ever to verify and improve application reliability throughout the development process. This tool allows developers and QA testers to work together more efficiently by giving them a single tool that spans the entire development life cycle, from content flow and functionality verification to automated testing and deployment of web applications. The new software enables users to run automated testing and analysis of Web applications, addressing four primary areas: Web site risk analysis, functional testing, load and performance testing, and security analysis, the company said. Parasoft officials said WebKing helps to ensure that Web applications meet specific content, performance, reliability and security goals set by users.
9. TestDrive – TestDrive-Gold is designed to test just about any GUI or browser application ‘out of the box’. It has in-built technology to deal with a multitude of controls and techniques. TestDrive-Gold is designed to test just about any GUI or browser application ‘out-of-the-box’. It has in-built technology to deal with a multitude of controls and techniques, without you having to worry about them. With some technologies, it is the only solution that works. Just a couple of the highlights are: Code free testing Selg healing Technology, Innovative script contaol Technology, Iseries server side testing Macros lets you record and replay repetitious work.
10. Rational Functional Tester – Provides testers with automated testing capabilities for functional testing, regression testing, GUI testing and data-driven testing.
For more details please contact us:firstname.lastname@example.org